Anything related to surgery is incredibly demanding because the stakes are so high. The physical and psychological demands inherent in the job are significant. If there are any complications before, during, or after the procedure, it can impact patient outcomes. How can this not be stressful for people who work in this environment?
Here are some of the ways that stress can enter these situations, which may affect patient outcomes. Fortunately, there are ways to address many of these challenges. The DinamicOR Back Table Solution can help relieve stress and anxiety in many of these situations.
How stress and anxiety enter the surgical environment
When a patient’s life and health are on the line, there is plenty to get stressed out about. But there are some specific elements of the surgical environment that tend to be sources of anxiety for staff:
- Workloads — Surgical suites are fast-paced environments. It’s the surgical technician’s job to make sure everything is moving smoothly and efficiently, even in the face of unexpected delays.
- Distractions — Distractions in the OR can lead to anxiety when a tray full of instruments collapses unexpectedly, or some other piece of equipment doesn’t perform as expected.
- Transitions — Transitions between procedures can be particularly stress-producing when teams are in a time crunch and must set up the room according to exact specifications.
- Disorganization — Disorganization of instruments and equipment during a procedure can lead to delays and significant stress among staff.
Can stress and anxiety among staff impact patient outcomes?
When surgical technicians and nurses feel stress and anxiety for any reason, it can lead to mistakes. Clearly, these errors can impact patient outcomes. One study measured the stress levels of trauma teams, which included some surgical procedures. The study found that, regardless of training levels, stress impacts everyone to some degree in these high-intensity fields.
Another study by the Anxiety and Depression Association of America revealed that 56% of employees report that stress and anxiety impact their work performance. Knowing this, it would make sense to take advantage of as many solutions as possible to reduce or eliminate stress in these environments.
The DinamicOR Back Table Solution reduces stress among surgical staff
Not only does your surgical staff deserve to work in a lower-stress environment, but your patients deserve the chance at the best outcomes possible. The DinamicOR Back Table Solution and the DinamicOR+ Workflow Management App were created with these goals in mind.
The DinamicOR Back Table Solution is an ergonomically designed adjustable OR instrument table. It allows for multiple configurations, and there are custom-fitted drapes available to assist with perfect tray placement. Some of the ways these solutions reduce stress and improve patient outcomes include:
- Better instrument visibility — Instrument visibility with the DinamicOR Back Table Solution is an impressive 92%. This means that there won’t be any “hunting” for instruments during a lifesaving procure.
- Faster turnover time — Using the DinamicOR+ Workflow Management App, staff reduce turnover time by an average of 33%. The app allows for profiles of procedures, allowing for better repeatability in processes.
- Improved peace of mind — The DinamicOR Back Table Solution is a safer and more efficient tool for your surgical staff. This can reduce injuries and give them the peace of mind they need to do their jobs with less stress and anxiety.
At DinamicOR, we consulted closely with OR staff in the development of our products. And their many benefits are deliberately designed to reduce your staff’s stress levels. Contact us today to learn more.